Monday, March 30, 2009

SCUBA certified

Yes, yes, like the title says I am officially SCUBA certified. I finished the certification on Saturday after our last open water dive and our test. We did two open water dives- one on Friday and one on Saturday. We did shore entries for both at a beach right by our flat. There is an old slip way that has tons of sea coral and sea creatures all around it so we dove and looked at all of that. We were supposed to go out into the boat on Saturday, but I guess there were swells and those are definitely NOT fun to scuba in. I actually started to get a little seasick on Friday because the waves were pretty rough. Our instuctor says if you do have to puke, puke in your regulator (breathe tube). Gross. I'm glad I didn't have to puke. Underwater was pretty cool. We saw a flute fish which is the relative to the seahorse. It kinda looked like one, it was just straight instead. I saw some starfish and supposedly we instructor saw a octopus, but we couldn't see where he was pointing. It was fun, but what I'm most excited for is when he's going to take us to see some sharks. He knows where a ton of sharks are and we can get close enough to touch them. We're not going to do that until May though.



I kind of skipped ahead to the weekend, but I really don't have much to say from this week except that I wrote a HUGE 10ish page paper on the politics of South Africa. Yikes! I never knew I'd be able to pop that out. I even finished it ahead of time... it's technically not due until Thursday. Although I really needed it done by Monday because tomorrow we head to Cape Town! We're leaving at 7 am tomorrow to take a 10 hour bus trip to Cape Town. That's gonna be a long one! In Cape Town we're gonna see a bunch of cool stuff- Robben Island (where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned), Table Mountain, a bunch of museums, and we're going to a two day Jazz Festival. Then we'll hopefull leave early Sunday morning because South Africa Ironman is going on in Port Elizabeth. It of course goes on all day until midnight, but I'd still be nice to come back earlier to see more of it. The swim is down the street maybe mile and the run route is right in front of our flat. I am so pumped!

Then we are officially on Spring Break. I'm traveling with a group of five girls up to Lesotho, a country completely surrounded by South Africa. We're flying into Durban, shuttling to our hostel and then taking a three day horseback riding trip into Lesotho. We'll probably spend the rest of the week in the mountains. Then we'll head back to Durban to go to Easter Sunday Mass and fly home to PE that afternoon. I'm really excited!

Well, it's time to go. My roommate Katie traveled this weekend and got a ostrich egg so we're having that for dinner tonight. God Bless and I'll probably update again after break. Have a great Easter!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you have a great Easter Nikki! I miss you...

    Next time you talk to you Dad tell him we got the truck running and driving again.

    ReplyDelete